Choosing The Right Dog For You
|Choosing The Right Dog For You|
With over 200 breeds covering the UK alone, choosing the right one for you can always prove to be difficult. Each breed of dog has its own unique characteristics which must fit your personality and lifestyle if you are going to adapt to a loving relationship with your new pet.
It is important that you know what you’re looking for. A good start may be to take a look at your lifestyle in terms of career (Do you work away a lot?), family (Are there young children around?) and location (Do you live in the city or countryside? Will your pet be kept in outdoor dog kennels or indoor dog kennels?), as all these questions will have an impact on what type of breed is right for you.
Some of the different qualities in a dog you will need to consider are:
- Size (puppy or adult?)
- Gender (dog or bitch?)
- Background (breeder or re-homing organization?)
While these are the most important factors to consider, some more questions you may want to ask yourself are:
- Energy level – Will it be too energetic?
- Aggressive behaviour – How aggressive will it be?
- Training – Can I train it easy?
- Compatibility – Will it adapt to my lifestyle appropriately?
- Hygiene – Will it shed a lot of hair? Does it smell/dribble etc.
- Homing – What type of dog kennel and run will you need?
By identifying these qualities and asking yourself these questions, you will find that choosing the right dog for you is easier than you may have first thought. Remember, this is a long term decision, so take the time to make the right one for you and your new best friend.